一人一人

wip_webProgress over the weekend. This weekend felt really relaxing and productive. I woke up Saturday morning, dawned with the idea for the final zine. I cranked it out and assembled 25 copies (10 full color and 15 bw), using up the remaining grey and pink I had left. Incredible I bought the pack of grey vellum from paperworks thinking 500 was way too much; glad I used it all (but also extremely depressing how I spent ~$50 on printing alone with that).

The zine encompasses a brief description of all the installations I had made thus far and shows images and compares text from each of the different elements of the installations–including the questionnaire I sent out to staff across campus. I felt good about it; how it all came together with the colored paper and pairing the content was fun. Conditional design really helping inspire my project. Also, I incorporated some Japanese in it to tie together the 「ウチとソト」idea with the inclusive/exclusive definition of community.

The final installation, I want to combine 一人 (meaning both one person and alone) into some modular way of creating the word 一緒 (together). I made a bunch of vinyl stickers; I just need to figure out how/where/what the final composition, scale, etc. will be. It’s exciting overall though. I am looking forward to receiving some feedback/insight from my peers and Paul/Sarah Jean today. I am also very much looking forward to seeing where everyone else is at with their project thus far; I do not feel like I know completely what everyone is doing, which will be fun to see.

This project has been really interesting for me; combing accessible language, (also with inaccessible language, inherently Japanese), form, the idea of community, installations, large typography, hand-lettering, working in public, interviewing people, making and then thinking/reflecting, iterating each week, conditional design, relational design, visual systems, voice, etc. so much. Also, learning how to use the vinyl cutter, speaking with people I’ve never held conversations with, and using a new technique for making work. I really enjoyed this project overall. But am also really glad it’s coming to a close–the installations themselves are very exhausting to make (not to mention designing the zines and putting it all together–concept, form, documentation, etc.).

I really enjoyed holding conversations with people and translating them into new form; publicizing and engaging with the public. I hope to get into Experimental Publishing with Paul next semester to continue this. I think it relates really well also with Dylan’s class and continuing from Sarah Jean and James’ wintersession, Digital Publishing.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s